Does your garbage disposal smell? Do you know when the last time you’ve cleaned it was? If you think the smell is because it’s dirty or food may be stuck in it, we’ve created a step by step guide on how to clean your garbage disposal. Cleaning a garbage disposal isn’t something that people clean regularly or even think to clean so if this is your first time you are not the only one.
Step by step guide on how to clean your garbage disposal
- Turn off the power supply, the last thing you want when your hands are around sharp blades is for it to accidentally be turned on. Most disposals have a plug under the sink, you can unplug it there. To double check that it’s off, you can try and turn it on.
- To see if anything is stuck or lodged in the drain, point a flashlight down it. If you see anything the best way to get it out is with pliers or tongs.
- Grab some rock salt and ice cubes and pour them in, then turn the power on and keep it running for about 30 seconds – a minute. After this, make sure you unplug the power again. Shine the flashlight down to make sure the blades look clean, this will help any food particles that are stuck to fall off.
- Next, you’ll mix vinegar and baking soda, this will create a paste. Pour it down the drain and let it sit there for about 10-15 minutes or until it starts to fizz/bubble. Once you see that grab an old scrub brush or toothbrush and scrub down it as far as you can.
- After you’ve completed this, to have your garbage disposal smelling fresh you can take some lemons or limes and cut them in large parts. Place them on the garbage disposal and run water down. This should leave your kitchen smelling fresh and clean.
Now that you’ve cleaned your garbage disposal to make sure this is not a common thing you do you can take some preventative measures. This would include not putting things like celery or potato skins down and a great tip would be to run the disposal 3-5 seconds longer than you normally would.
If your problem persists after this, something else may be lodged in the pipes or there could be another issue. This is the time to call an expert plumber, like us. We are happy to help your kitchen’s plumbing to get back to running smoothly with no odors. Feel free to call us at (781) 438-2997 or contact us on our website with any questions or to schedule an appointment.